verse of the day

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Are We Bigots?

Bigot-a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

I have been hearing the word bigot thrown around for along time. It is one of those words that people have been just using the word and not really considering what it means. Most Christians I know despise sin. Yes they claim to. Why? Because sin is against God. However we do not commit bigotry by simple not liking something. Atheist will tell you that they despise Christians who try to force their beliefs on you. They have no problem with religion except when it is pushed on others.

Most Christians I know are not able to be pushed under the category of bigot. We shouldn't push our beliefs on you. Does this mean that we should be silent about what we believe. No because then we are cowards. We have the right state what we believe and hope that others believe it. Like democrats and republicans we have a right to say what we believe to be wrong, prejudice, and immoral. We have the same rights as everyone. Because we believe in things that cannot be scientifically confirmed then we are bigots. My friend that is not what a bigot is.

A couple of years ago there was a big issue because a man had John 3:16 (it read JON 316)on his license plate. The man who was prosecuting claimed that it was pushing a religious belief on him and his children. He argued that the state had given the license plate and therefor this was a violation of separation of church and state. Now if the state gives no funding and simply issues a plate with a saying that a man wants on it is the state in the wrong? Church nor state were involved in the matter. It was his personal preference! Now the state would be involved if they were to say he could not have this plate because it was religious affiliated? Well this man had to give up his plate in exchange for a non religious one when it was all said and done. That is bigotry my friends.

It is unacceptable for people to expect anyone to sweep their faith under the rug so that no one else sees it. I myself have two Christian bumper stickers and would get a third if I liked it enough. I like to think that I do wear my faith on sleeve. It may not be loud and obvious at times but I like people to know that I am Christian. It lets them know what to expect out of me and that I follow God! My actions speak the same(atleast they do sometimes) Because I talk to some one about my faith or operate a Christian blog sit does not make me a bigot.

Suppressing of ones religious beliefs, gay bashing, saying that some else is ignorant for having a different opinion that you, or stereotyping by saying that the Christians are bigots is committing an act of bigotry. Think about who is really intolerant to others.

No comments:

Counter